Hearthstone East Cottage
Located in Brixham, Devon
This superb thatched cottage is on the outskirts of the Devon harbour town of Brixham and can sleep eight people in four bedrooms.
- Sleeps: 8
- Bedrooms: 4
- Bathrooms: 2
- Pet Friendly: 2
Hearthstone East Cottage is a wonderful historic thatched cottage with masses of traditional features on the edge of the Devon seaside town of Brixham. The cottage sleeps eight people in two double bedrooms (one with an en-suite shower), two twin rooms and a family bathroom. On the ground floor are a fitted kitchen and a characterful sitting room with an open fire. Outside is off road parking for two cars and a lawned garden with a patio and outdoor furniture. Just over a mile from the harbour and the town centre, Hearthstone East Cottage is a superb cottage for a memorable break in Devon.
A real gem of a chocolate box cottage, Hearthstone East Cottage has every traditional feature that you could think of. As you approach this beautiful thatched cottage in the quaint Devon harbour town of Brixham, you will know that you have chosen wisely. Once a Devon longhouse, the cottage dates back to the 16th century and is a superb holiday home for anyone wishing to discover this historic part of Devon. On the ground floor are a well-equipped kitchen and a comfortable sitting room with traditional beams and a stone inglenook fireplace with a roaring open fire. Head up the stairs where you will find four bedrooms set on slightly different levels along with a family bathroom. The beautiful rear garden has a patio area and steps leading up to a lawned garden where you can sit in peace after a day spent exploring the Devon coast. The historic harbour town of Brixham is just a mile away, where you can see the fishing boats unloading their catch. Close by is Breakwater Beach, one of the cleanest Blue Flag beaches on the English Riviera, which has been recommended by the Good Beach Guide. Take the ferry to Dartmouth or Torquay, which both have a good reputation for fashionable restaurants and interesting boutiques, or you can take a boat trip and cruise up the River Dart to Greenway, Agatha Christie’s former holiday home. Hearthstone East Cottage was once home to American authoress Honore Morrow, who was resident in the town at the same time as Agatha Christie, and whose books can be found in the cottage. A truly wonderful holiday home that will leave you yearning to return as soon as possible.
- Central heating with open fire
- AGA cooker and electric oven and gas hob, microwave, fridge/freezer, barista-style coffee machine, washing machine, dishwasher, TV with Freeview, Blu-ray DVD, WiFi
- Fuel, power and starter pack for fire inc in rent
- Bed linen and towels inc in rent
- Two travel cots and highchair
- Off-road parking for 2 cars approx 50 yards from the property
- Garden with patio leading up to a lawned area with furniture
- Two well-behaved dogs welcome
- Sorry, no smoking
- Shop and pub 5 mins walk
- Harbour 1
- 2 miles
- Note: Due to the age and style of the property, there are many internal steps between rooms, may not be suitable for guests with limited mobility
- Note: Access from the parking to the cottage is through the rear garden along a paved pathway and down 14 cobbled steps to the back door, with access to the front door from the roadside with 6 steps
- Access without any steps can be made to the back kitchen door from a side gate
- Note: Due to the property having a thatched roof, BBQ's are not permitted
Brixham is a beautiful harbourside town on the South Devon coast on the English Riviera. Brixham has a rich maritime history and a full-size replica of the Golden Hind can be found in the Inner Harbour. A short walk further on takes you to the Brixham Battery Heritage Centre with magnificent panoramic views across the bay or find out more at the Brixham Heritage Museum.
There are regular ferry trips to Paignton and Torquay or you can book a wildlife sea-fari or a fishing trip. The area is great for learning to sail which can be done at the Torbay Sea School or crew the 78-foot heritage sailing ketch for a morning, afternoon or evening sailing trip. There are a number of festivals throughout the year including the popular Pirate Festival which attracts thousands of visitors. For relaxation, it is hard to beat Breakwater Beach, an award-winning Blue Flag beach close to the mouth of the harbour.